Essex Resident Stickers
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I obtain Essex Transfer Station and Parking Stickers?
Essex Transfer Station and Parking stickers may be obtained online at You can pay for your purchase with a VISA, Mastercard or Discover credit or debit card. Transfer station stickers may also be purchased at the Water Filtration Plant, 44 Centennial Grove Road, from Monday - Friday 7AM - 3:30PM. Resident parking stickers may also be purchased at the Town Clerk's office, Monday - Thursday from 7:30AM - 3:30PM.
What is the process to get the Essex Resident Stickers?
Once you have completed and submitted the resident sticker application, you will receive an email notification of your order. Upon verification of your information, you will receive an another email that your order has been successfully processed and mailed. Usually, stickers will be mailed within a 3-5 days of receipt of your application. If there are any questions regarding your information, we will contact you.
Who should I contact if I have a question or issue?
Please call City Hall Systems at (508) 381-5456 if you have any questions regarding ordering Essex resident stickers, or if you need a replacement stickers. Any questions regarding use of the Essex Transfer Station and Recycle Center should be directed to Essex Department of Public Works at (978) 768-6262. Any questions regarding use of the Essex resident parking should be directed to the Essex Town Clerk at (978) 768-7111.
Can I use the Essex Transfer Station if I do not have a Transfer Station Sticker?
No, only bona fide residents who have purchased a transfer station sticker can use the transfer station with the vehicle identified on the sticker. A resident of Essex being defined as any person actually living at a street address in Essex. If you need to use a different vehicle than that listed on your permit, please contact the DPW office regarding the issuance of a special permit.
How many Transfer Station Stickers may I purchase?
Each household may purchase up to 2 transfer station stickers. Each transfer station sticker is limited to use by one vehicle.
Can Businesses use the Transfer Station?
Small businesses may obtain for $170 per year transfer station tickets restricted to 2 bags per week of household type rubbish. Small businesses are defined as an antique or small office type business that generally does not generate any quantity of trash except office type paper, etc. Small businesses are issued tickets at the discretion of the DPW. Any small business wishing to purchase transfer station tickets must do so at the DPW office. No commercial haulers or commercial generated rubbish or recyclables are allowed at the Transfer Station.
Do I need a Resident Parking Sticker to use the Resident Parking?
No, you may use the resident parking spaces in Essex if your vehicle has either a Transfer Station or Parking sticker.
Why do you need my drivers license number when applying?
In order to verify your residency and senior status, we need to use your drivers license to check our databases. We will never divulge or provide your personal information, including your drivers license number, to any third party except as may be required by law.
Do I qualify for Senior Status?
If you are a resident of Essex and are 65 years old or older during the calendar year, you qualify for the senior discounted pricing applicable to transfer station stickers. We require that you provide us with your drivers license number so we can verify your age.
Why do I need Bulk/Recyclable Item Stickers?
If you wish to dispose of certain items at the Transfer Station, you will need to purchase a special sticker prior to bringing the item to the Transfer Station and Recycle Center. Special disposal stickers needs to be purchased for 4 categories of bulk/recyclable items: bulk non-recyclable; bulk freon recyclable; bulk non-freon recyclable; and TV/CRT (cathode ray tube) recyclable. Bulk non-cyclable items (cost $10 each) include mattresses, box springs, large furniture items (such as couches, love seats, recliners, tables, etc.), large rugs and large toys. Bulk freon recyclable items (cost $15 each) include refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and water coolers. Bulk non-freon recyclable items (cost $10 each) include washers, dryers, hot water heaters, stoves, furnaces, and dishwashers. TV/CRT recyclable items (cost $10 each) include televisions and computers. If you have any questions about what items require a special sticker, please see the attendent at the Transfer Station or call (978) 768-6262.
When Is the Transfer Station and Recycle Center Open?
The Essex Transfer Station and Recycle Center is open and staffed Tuesday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00AM to 3:45PM. The Transfer Station and Recycle Center is closed on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday and holidays. Please check in advance with the Transfer Station personnel.
Who Qualifies as an Essex Resident?
A resident of Essex is defined as any person actually living at a street address in Essex. Proof of residency is required to obtain resident stickers. No P.O. boxes are accepted. Proof of Residency can be established by a drivers license, car registration, tax or utility bill, lease or other document establishing residency.
Why do I have to Pay a Convenience Fee?
There is a non-refundable convenience fee of 2.95% (with a $1.00 minimum) of the total amount charged for use of the website. The convenience fee covers the costs of the credit card charges, fulfillment and postage.
What are the Essex Transfer Station Rules and Regulations?
The Essex Transfer Station Rules and Regulations can be obtained from the Town of Essex website at The site also contains additional information concerning the Transfer Station use and hours.
What do I do if I need a Replacement Stickers?
If you need a replacement sticker, please call or visit the Essex Department of Public Works or call City Hall Systems at (508) 381-5456 for assistance. In order to get a replacement sticker you will need to return the original. There is no charge for the first replacement sticker. After the first replacement, the town reserves the right to charge a fee for additional replacement passes.
How can I get a temporary pass for a day to use someone elses vehicle?
If you need to use another vehicle to transport an item to the Transfer Station, please call or visit the Essex Department of Public Works for assistance. If appropriate, the DPW may issue you a special one day permit.

If you have any questions, please call City Hall Systems (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) at 508-381-5456
or email us at

Dept of Public Works · 44 Centennial Grove Rd, Essex, MA 01929 · tel:(978) 768-6262 · fax:(978) 768-2500